TRACKLIFE.info Ресурс о индустрии автоспорта

Вернуться   TRACKLIFE.info Ресурс о индустрии автоспорта > Технический раздел > Автомобили

Автомобили Ветка о спортивных автомобилях, готовых проектах и процессе их создания. Ваши машины в подразделе Бортовой журнал.

Ответ

Опции темы Поиск в этой теме Опции просмотра
Старый 25.01.2012   #11
bmw3s
На пятой

bmw3s has a spectacular aura about
Отправить сообщение для bmw3s с помощью ICQ

Степ никогда не видел чтоб на твоей черной был передний бампер.
Старый 25.01.2012   #12
Степан200
На второй

Степан200 has a spectacular aura about

Только для особых случаев, типа выступления на Лубянке)))
Степан200 вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 05.02.2012   #13
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

Kosov вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 15.02.2012   #14
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

Recently an old friend of mine called to tell me he was building something special in an old garage in Amsterdam.

What owner Rik has been working on in the garage is this S14 Zenki; a tough street car built specifically for fast laps around the Nordschleife.
Trainspotters may notice the newer Kouki front or the wide-body panels, but the first thing that caught my attention was the motor.

Powering the S14 is a naturally aspirated VQ35 from a 350Z that sits well back in the engine bay.

Rik used Mckinny mounts to make the VQ swap painless.

On top of the V6 is Cosworth's twin plenum which replaces the stock intake manifold. Its larger volume increases power at high rpm while the integrated velocity stacks improve torque in the midrange.

There's still a lot of work to be done before the S14 is punished at the Green Hell, particularly to the chassis. These are the cardboard mock-ups for the front tubs.

The strut towers themselves will be untouched. The S14 is fitted with Tein coilovers, EDFC stepping motors and GeoMaster knuckles that provide 50mm of roll centre correction.

The roll-cage is an important addition that improves the rigidity of the chassis.

Rik called upon Biesheuvel Autosport to fabricate the custom cage design.

Here is a close up of the cage just beneath the dash on the right-hand side.

The cage design goes through the firewall and links the four strut towers.

One, or actually four, cool items on this car are the old school 18-inch Nismo LMGT wheels. They are definitely a perfect match for this race-oriented car.
I'll have more details and specs on this S14 in the next update.
Старый 01.09.2012   #15
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

It’s been just over a month since I was at Gatebil Rudskogen, but already my recollection of the Scandinavia seems very much like a dream. It is a place indescribable by words, one filled with cars that seem more like pipe-dream-double-dares than reality. I can imagine no other place on earth where absurd concoctions like a NASCAR powered R34 could possibly exist, therefore it’s only fitting to be the birthplace of the ultimate motorsport hybrid.

I had heard rumors long before the event of this car that was lurking somewhere in Scandinavia that used to be a full fledged JGTC racer. I even read a brief snippet about it on this very site. But nothing could have properly prepared me for what lay in store at Rudskogen. I finally stumbled upon the freshly rebuilt car in the paddock area, under a canopy that Rob Bullough and I ducked in to avoid the downpour of rain that had just begun to fall.

We walked around the car and I started pointing out little bits here and there to Rob, one of them being the roll cage. One thing you’ll notice about this and most extreme race cars (DTM, WRC etc) is that, contrary to popular Internet lore, the roll cages are not right next to the roof. In fact the top of the cage hangs quite low, an effort to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

It wasn’t long before the gentleman tinkering inside the car looked up and introduced himself as Mr. Jarle. He seemed to have heard our conversation and was quite keen on showing us more of the car. He began telling me a little more about the setup and that’s when things got really interesting. As it turns out Mr. Jarle is an expert tuner who specializes in DTM engines.

A few minutes later I was introduced to the owner and driver, Radni Molampour. Strangely enough I think he was just as excited to be talking to someone from Speedhunters as we were to learn more about his amazing car! For the next forty-five minutes or so Radni walked me through just about every millimeter of the car and filled me in on how it went from a racer to a rust bucket to the ultimate Frankenstein GT.

The first question you have to ask when you see a car like this is how in the hell did he even get a hold of it? Well it all started back in 2009 when Radni was building a totally insane fully carbon Supra. One of his contacts in Japan from whom he was getting parts for the Supra told him that there was a very special car that would be for sale soon, but it wasn’t officially on the market and there would very little time to make a purchase as it was a highly sought after car.

“When I received the pictures I didn’t understand what kind of car it was” Radni says. “I didn’t even know the history of JGTC in Japan, but my Norwegian friend Ronny Skogen told me ‘this is a chance you will only get once in your life, don’t blow it.’ So I took his word for it and bought it without thinking twice.” And like that, Radni was now the owner of what is probably the most extreme S-chassis on earth.

But it wasn’t all unicorns and rainbows from there, when the container finally arrived in Norway it contained a car covered in battle scars and signs of neglect. Initially Radni cleaned up what he could, threw an SR20 in the car as it came without an engine, and headed to the track. He could tell right off the bat that there was loads of potential for the S15, but it needed some help.

In the winter of 2010 the car was completely stripped to the chassis and examined. “Everything on the car was in need of repair. The wheel bearings were damaged, the spherical bearings had too much clearance, the brake calipers and hydraulic lines were dried out. The shocks, brakes and differential were all leaking and the sway bars were rusted solid to the point where they wouldn’t move! Being the perfectionist I am I wanted the car to be 100%”

Sparing virtually no expense, each component was either restored or duplicated one at a time. Since practically the entire car is made up of one-of-a-kind parts which can no longer be ordered, much of the car was painstakingly replicated by Henning Finnstad who was able to machine all of the pieces necessary to get the car back to race worthy condition.

With the chassis tightened up and the bodywork coated with fresh paint the last piece of the puzzle was deciding what engine to use in this beast. “I had a wild race chassis but the real engine was missing, and NISMO wasn’t about to sell me one. The SR20 we built gave me a lot of headaches so I knew that wasn’t going to work either. Luckily I met Mr. Jarle at one of the GT races in 2010 and he said he ‘had the perfect engine for my special car.’”

In the end a 2.5L Opel Calibra DTM V6 would be just what the doctor ordered. At first Radni thought it was too crazy, but after a little convincing from his brother he settled on the engine and began the process of installing it into the S15. Now I know the thought of a German V6 in the holy grail of Silvias might make some of you sick, but let me point out a few facts for your consideration.

In comparison to the JGTC SR originally installed in the car, the DTM motor is: 33% more powerful, 14cm (5.5″) lower (thus lowering CG even further), 12cm (4.75″) further back in the car (improving polar moment of inertia) and 114kg (251lbs) lighter. I think that’s what you call a win-win-win-win scenario. In fact the engine sits so low it’s actually quite difficult to see it at all, even in person.

When you combine that level of race engine with this level of race chassis you get something vastly unruly. Even though this chassis is over decade old and “only” a GT 300 car, it’s one of the most extreme designs I’ve ever shot. Virtually each inch of the car has been extensively modified with extreme care. One look anywhere on the car, even the trunk, and you’ll see exactly what I mean.

In the rear there are three coolers, for oil, transmission and brake fluid, which have been crafted into the cavity with precision. Fed by a pair of carbon fiber ducts on the rear window, air is forced through to cool and is then expelled under the car where the hot air can further aid the aerodynamics.

Needless to say the inside of the car is also a sight to behold. Obviously I was there to see the car in person, and I took the photograph above, yet I’m still dumbfounded by the cockpit. I could sit here and stare at it for minutes on end, each nook and cranny is filled with something curious. The heel up plate, the center console, the roll cage gusseting, it’s all incredible.

I can remember looking at photos and watching in car videos of cars from this era and being flabbergasted by the interiors, but in particular the steering column pods. With the driving position changed so radically, the steering wheel and displays all have to follow suit. Rather than just leaving everything sitting there exposed, the pod is finished with a radical piece of formed carbon. Delicious.

When you move in closer you start to realize how much is actually going on here, all arranged in a beautifully chaotic manner. While it’s not quite F1, this view isn’t many knobs, buttons and switches off.

Just below is a peal set which I am told is unique to the car. As with most everything else that surrounds them, the pedals look entirely over engineered. And if you’re wondering what that canister to the right of the frame is, it’s one of the three AP Racing air jacks.

Opposite of the driver is the electronics mainframe including the relay junction and fuse block as well as the ECU. I would imagine that setting up the wiring network was one of the more difficult aspects of the build considering the car was never meant to accept this engine.

Behind the driver things are complicatedly simple, if that makes any sense at all. While the electronic accoutrements are kept to a minimum, the cage starts to get very complex in the rear and I can’t help but wonder how much of it is for safety and how much is literally part of the chassis. As you could see in one of the photos above the cage protrudes through what would normally be a floor pan where it joins the suspension below. Tricky.

By the end of the shoot my face was thoroughly melted by this one off machine. In a list of impossible things that would never happen in a million years, finding one of only three JGTC Silvias ever built in Norway, with an Opel DTM engine obscured somewhere in its bay, would be very close to the top. It’s this kind of mayhem that has thrown Scandinavia onto my radar and I can’t wait to see what else they’ll come up. In fact Mr. Jarle assured me that if I come back next year, he’ll have something else special for me…
Only time will tell.
2000 Nissan / NISMO S15 JGTC GT 300 Silvia (chassis 002)
ENGINE
2.5L Opel / Cosworth DTM V6; dry sump; Bosch coils; custom intake ducting and plenum, custom exhaust; Premier fuel system with NISMO fuel pumps
ENGINE MANAGEMENT / ELECTRONICS
EFI Euro 6 ECU; AIM Strada Pista digital dash
DRIVELINE
Xtrac 6-speed sequential transmission w/ magnesium housing and dry-sump lubrication; Geartronics F1 paddle shift system; NISMO differential, driveshaft; Mocal rear-mounted transmission and differential coolers
SUSPENSION / CHASSIS
Auto Staff Performance Development JGTC roll cage and chassis modifications; NISMO adjustable suspension arms f/r, steering system, sway bars f/r, uprights; AP Racing air jacks; Bilstein shocks and springs
BRAKES
AP Racing front calipers, brake bias lever, brake pads; NISMO rear calipers, brake pedal system, brake system heat exchangers, floating rotors f/r
WHEELS / TIRES
18×11″ Magnesium center-locking wheels; 270/710R18 Dunlop racing slicks
CABIN
Sparco steering wheel; Cobra racing seat; NISMO carbon panels and cooling ducts; OMP fire suppression system
BODY
Complete NISMO JGTC bodywork (bumpers f/r, hood, fenders f/r, doors, side skirts, rear decklid, rear wing, front splitter, rear diffuser, Lexan windows, lightweight headlights, ; OEM S15 taillights
PERFORMANCE
450hp @ 11,800 rpm / 290lb-ft @ 9000 rpm

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/08/...f-both-worlds/
Старый 17.02.2013   #16
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

I hear it all the time. Yes I’d love for you to shoot my car, could you wait until I finish up and fit so and so parts. We all do it, me included which is also why I’ve never really properly shot my own car. But as far as perpetual-projects go, nothing and nobody could ever touch Under Suzuki and his Scorch Racing S15. This is the epitome of a project car, but unlike most of us out there that spend a little bit of free time now and again with our respective pride and joy, Suzuki devotes ALL of his spare time to his car and when needed makes extra time to get stuff finished. This is what happens when you build a car for a true purpose; obsession unavoidably sets in. Only then would you come close to reaching the level Suzuki now stands at with his car.

Since we looked at his Silvia years ago you will notice the drastic change the car has undergone. By bringing in Andrew Brilliant as a consultant Suzuki gained the necessary advice to start to seriously address the car from an aerodynamic point of view. As Andrew says “…balance is important. Too much rear downforce you understeer out of high speed corners and too much front downforce you oversteer. With a production car, the rear downforce is where you can adjust because it’s a wing. So the progression for his car last year began with some advise on how to increase front end downforce.”

“We ended up maxing out the wing so came up with an all new design with more headroom and less drag.” You can sew the new adjustable wing above.

To boost front end downforce a lot of work went into creating a more thought out path for the air hitting the S15, not only around the side of the bumper and over the canards but also the air travelling into the engine bay, through the radiator and intercooler…

…and up, out through the louvered hood. As Andrew told me, what makes Suzuki-san stand out is that he has dedicated himself to learning the black art of aerodynamics through advice and lots of experimentation. Suzuki didn’t study aero design, he didn’t work in a pro race team, but continues to take small steps learning along the way. That’s why his car is always changing and now that he has become quite the master at making his own carbon fiber body panels, it does give him lots of scope to harness all this advice and experiment continuously.

Up front the front fenders are an area he has really changed, from the actual design, width and shape to the portion of the chassis aft of the wheels that he just hacked away at (you will see what I mean further down in some of the interior shots) “…from here he wants to continue growing the front downforce…” and that is precisely what he is working on at the moment. Don’t think for a second that now that he has the record at Tsukuba he is going to stop trying. Quite the contrary, he knows that his car still has a ton of potential left in it and will see it out until the end…whenever that will be!

For his 52-sec lap attack, Suzuki even got rid of the Craft Square mirrors as he was the only guy out on track, so no need to check behind the car!

As you move further rearward you an see how the carbon treatment extends to the doors(these have actually been on the car for a while), side rear “glass…”

…the rear window and of course those huge overfenders we first saw when he was shipping his car to Australia for last year’s WTAC. Everything is there to either improve or smooth flow over the car and in the process use that air to create more downforce, less lift…and whatever else these crazy aero guys are thinking!

Here is a look into the elongated extractor sections that wrap around the rear of the car. If they have stayed on the car until now it probably means Suzuki-san has deemed them functional. That’s how aero experimentation is pretty much approached on this car!

This view of the rear end gives a better look at the sheer dimensions of the rear wing Andrew designed, something that will be providing as much rear downforce as Suzuki will need for the foreseeable future.

This car defines functionality in ever way, nothing is there without reason. And if you are wondering if Suzuki-san runs an underfloor, the answer is no. Maybe it will be something he will start working on this year, but the fact that he has achieved what he has without the use of one further adds to car’s capabilities.

On to the engine. This part has been worked on with close assistance and advice from Takemura-san at Scorch and the basis remains similar to when we saw it before, except it has been rebuilt after the failure it had back in 2011. The 2.2L Brian Crower stroker is joined by a…

…reworked head from NAPREC boasting ported and polished intake and exhaust tracts and special “high-response” valve gear . Of course the head is off an SR20VE so has variable valve timing allowing for a broad spread of torque.

One of the main differences throughout last year was the adoption of a GCG turbo which replaces the previous KKK/Blitz K27 unit. The larger GTX3582R allows for better response and higher flow which has helped bump the power of the SR up to 800 HP. The turbo has been pretty much pushed to its limit, ran at 2.5 bar when Suzuki goes for serious time attack laps. He, along with Takemura-san, are looking to step it up to a Borg Warner EFR turbo to get more power, so 2013 will see quite a few changes under the hood too.

A horizontally mounted Blitz intercooler takes full advantage of the air the air dam and carbon shrouding directs through its core…

…before passing on the compressed intake charge to Hypertune throttle and plenum.

Specially set up and valved Ennepetal/Bilstein dampers are what Suzuki-san runs…

…with the car having received quite an evident brake upgrade. The older Brembo Racing forged calipers it was running have been replaced with these all-new items, boasting better construction…

…lighter weight and better performance.

Wheels are courtesy of Rays Engineering, a nice and light set of Volk Racing 10.5Jx18″ RE30 Club Sport wrapped in the stickiest Advan A050 rubber available. As most time attack cars out there, Suzuki’s S15 is running the new 295/30R18 size all round.

Much like everything else the interior oozes functionality; the chipped paint on the cage’s crossbars and wear and tear of the Recaro seat hints that this car gets used, and often.

The suede-trimmed Nardi steering wheel has a little trigger button to actuate an overboost function…

…allowing the Blitz SBC-iD boost controller to unleash full boost on the GCG turbo.

Suzuki keeps this little Nobi-Nobita character from Doraemon on top of his Racepak IQ3 dash/data logger as a good luck charm.

Since I last properly shot the car the interior has been cleaned up a lot, partly thanks to the carbon fiber dashboard…

…which hides all of the wiring and electronics. Suzuki has recently gotten rid of the HKS F-Con V Pro ECU and moved on to a Motec unit which will not only allow him a ton more scope for more refined tuning but give him the option to run some sort of traction control in the first two gears to help him shoot out of Tsukuba’s tightest corners more efficiently.

The whole interior has been completely gutted out, so one peek through the doors and you can see right through to the trunk area where the surge tank is located. You can also see the subframe that was fabricated to hold up the massive rear wing and transmit all that downforce onto the chassis.

The SR20 has been dry sumped and the tall oil tank feeding the pumps has been located inside on the passenger side for best weight distribution.

I mentioned that the sides of the chassis right behind the front wheels had been hacked up to allow better airflow. This is what it looks like from the interior.

The whole area is of course strengthened up and gusseted to the roll cage to guarantee enough stiffness, but it’s a good example of the extent Suzuki-san is prepared to go during his “experiments.”

His year looks pretty busy; he has two more Battle Evome sessions to participate in and then lots of work to get the car upgraded and set up for the 2013 WTAC, which has been moved to the 18th and 19th of October. I think from now on I will be shooting this S15 at the end of each year, such is the advancement of upgrades, alterations and improvements that Suzuki and his team keep applying.
Thanks to Suzuki-san for sticking around at Tsukuba for a couple of hours to allow me to shoot his car and Andrew Brilliant for the comments about the car’s aero.
Specs:
Max Power: 800 HP
Max Torque: 736NM (542 lb/ft)
Max Boost: 2.5 kg/cm2
Best time Tsukuba: 52”649 sec
Engine: Brian Crower 2.2L stroker kit, Nismo bearings all round, dry-sump lubrification, P12 Primera crank pulley, custom aluminium pulley for water pump, alternator & power steering pump, low-mount bracket for power steering pump, Denso lightweight alternator, SR20VE variable valve timing head, P12 Primera stock cams IN 228º~278º 12 mm lift, EX 244º~280º 11.15 mm lift, NAPRED high response head with: strengthened double valve springs, sodium filled EX valves, bronze valve guides, race cut valve seats, ported and polished head, Tomei t=1.8 mm metal head gasket ø 87 mm, Tomei head bolts, GCG Garret GTX3582R turbocharger, Turbosmart 40 mm comp gate external wastegate, custom ø 90 mm stainless steel front pipe, custom ø 90 mm exhaust system, custom intake pipe and Blitz mesh filter, custom intercooler piping, Blitz Type-J intercooler, Turbosmart Race Port BOV, Hypertune intake plenum & throttle body, Hypertune fuel delivery pipe, Blitz 1000 cc/min injectors x4, Blitz Type-D oil cooler, Tabata triple core racing radiator, Custom twin electrical fan set-up, NGK Racing Plugs #9, Odyssey 925 dry-cell battery, HKS F Con V-Pro ECU
Transmission: ORC triple plate clutch, ORC lightweight flywheel, Hollinger H6S 6-speed sequential transmission, Nismo GT-Pro differential (4.08 final)
Suspension & Brakes: Ennepetal/Bilstein adjustable suspension, Hyperco springs 12 kg/mm front, 10 kg/mm rear, pillow ball arms, solid/welded members, Brembo Racing 4-pot front calipers, ø 340 mm 2-piece Garland slotted disc, 2-pot Brembo rear calipers & slotted discs, Endless Type-R brake pads
Wheels & Tyres: Rays Engineering Volk Racing RE30CS 10.5JJx18”, Yokohama Advan A050 295/35/18 GS compound
Exterior: custom carbon bumper, custom carbon canards, custom headlight dummies, custom carbon vented hood, custom carbon fenders, custom carbon doors, custom carbon rear overfenders, T&E Vertex dry carbon roof, custom carbon side & rear glass covers, custom carbon trunk, Craft Square carbon mirrors, custom designed adjustable rear wing
Interior & Chassis: 14-point ø 40 mm cromoly racing roll cage, spot welded chassis, Recaro SP-G bucket seat, Nardi racing steering wheel, Racepak IQ3 data logger dash unit, Blitz boost controller, Lap-Shot LP-03 lap timer, oil reservoir catch tank
Старый 17.02.2013   #17
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

The Group A era, from the 1980s through to the 1990s, gave us a lot to be thankful for. On racetracks and rally special stages all over the world, fans were treated not only to some of the best racing ever seen, but afterwards, if they wished, they could drive the cars home. Not the racecars of course, but the sometimes-only-slightly-watered-down road-going variants that car manufacturers were required to put into production and market to people like you and me in order to meet their Group A racing homologation requirements. Group A gave us the Ford Sierra RS Cosworth, the BMW M3, the Subaru Impreza WRX and the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution among many others. Group A also gave us the BNR32 Nissan Skyline GT-R.

With a production car based racing heritage dating back to the legendary Hakosukas of the early ’70s, Nissan didn’t rest on its laurels when it revived the hallowed ‘GT-R’ grade for its new 1989 Skyline. Instead, it pooled talent from around the world and created (arguably) the greatest Group A touring car of them all.

The fire-breathing Group A GT-R was based on the BNR32 Skyline’s ‘Evolution’ version – aka the 1990 NISMO-spec GT-R. A minimum of 500 road cars were required for homologation, but all-told 560 cars were produced in the specification: 500 for public consumption and 60 for competition use.

The NISMO variant allowed Nissan to homologate a number of different parts over and above the run-of-the-mill Skyline GT-R, as well as creating a specification more suited to a competition base. The car received intercooler cooling ducts in the front bumper and a NISMO body kit that included a subtle hood lip spoiler, side skirts and a small trunk spoiler below the rear wing. The factory T25 turbos also had their ceramic compressor wheels replaced with steel items in preparation for more boost. But it wasn’t all gains. In its spec form the NISMO lost ABS, air-conditioning, its rear screen wiper, intercooler mesh and some weight.

Although their silhouettes were the same, the NISMO road car and the Group A race car were two very different machines. As Nissan’s official motorsport arm, NISMO ran the Group A operation out of Japan where it designed the GT-R’s racing specification and prepared cars (including the iconic Calsonic GT-R) for local Group A-based competition. Right from the get-go Nissan had planned to campaign the new car new in Australia, as it had done with previous models including the Bluebird Turbo (from the early ’80s Group C era) and both the DR30 and HR31 Skylines. The Skylines had both been run on behalf of Nissan by Australian race driver Fred Gibson, who had taken over the local Nissan Motor Sport operation in 1986 and renamed it Gibson Motorsport. Given the success he had with the Skylines – especially the HR31, which ran for three seasons – it was a no-brainer that Gibson Motorsport should manage the Nissan’s Group A GT-R works programme down under.

From 1990 through to 1992 five cars were prepared in Australia. This particular one, chassis #5, was the last Gibson car built and the most famous. Even though both the Japanese and Australia Group A cars were cut from the same cloth and the teams worked closely with each other on R&D, in many respects the cars differed in specification and look. Their goals were the same though: Group A domination.

For competition use the NISMO-developed Group A-spec RB26DETT was reworked with a strengthened engine block and race-grade internals, and fitted with upgraded ancillaries. Gibson Motorsport’s version was both powerful and beautiful.

In their original race trim, with close to 30psi (2.0kg/cm2) of boost running through their veins, the Gibson GT-Rs output an easy 600hp (450kW). And that, coupled with their purpose-tuned ATTESA E-TS four-wheel-drive system, equipped the cars with decimating performance. Graphic illustration of that came a 1990 Tooheys 1000 at Bathurst, when after dismally qualifying in 11th, the Mark Skaife/Jim Richards entry had moved up to eighth by the end of lap one, and by lap 10 it was leading. In the latter move Richards waved to Klaus Niedzwiedz (ANZ Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500) as he squeezed on the gas pedal and powered by up Mountain Straight. By lap 20 the GT-R had a 20-second stretch on the field.

No prizes for guessing then that the Skyline GT-R was the Group A machine that all others were measured against, both in Australia and abroad where NISMO-prepared cars were enjoying similar success. In what is essentially a production car-based form of circuit racing, there’s only so long that you can get away with that sort of thing though, and for the Gibson Motorsport team having weight and power restrictions thrown at them for the ’92 season came as little surprise. Power output was addressed through the use of a boost pressure limiting pop-off valve that was required to be attached to the engine’s intake manifold and then sealed by championship officials so it’s setting couldn’t be tampered with. If you’re familiar with turbo IndyCar engines you’ll probably recognize this type of device.

With the boost restrictor in place peak output dropped to around 470hp (350kW), but even with extra ballast on board to bring them up to their redefined race weight the GT-Rs kept winning.

Which team built the better GT-R: Australia’s Gibson Motorsport or Japan’s NISMO works team, is often a point of discussion among afficionados of Nissan’s Group A glory days. Both teams had so much to do with each other – NISMO supplying the base package to begin with and Gibson’s team fine-tuning the set up – that it’s much easier to just celebrate their individual successes in what were two very different championships. There’s absolutely no disputing the fact that Gibson Motorsport knew how to prepare a race car, though – both in the way it performed on race day and how it was presented. That’s evidenced by the spectacular dual dry-break fuel system in the trunk; a set-up unique to the Aussie Group A GT-Rs.

Although chassis #5 was completely restored by Fred Gibson after its retirement from racing, it was as polished to perfection during its racing life as it is now. It’s inch-perfect original too, right down to the early ’90s laptop computer and software used to tune the Electramotive (USA) engine management system.

I spent a lot of time gazing into the trunk, most likely with my mouth wide open.

It’s only when you get to witness up close the uncompromising level of detail that you start to understand and appreciate why each of these cars reputedly cost around $700,000 to build back in the early ’90s.

Given its level of performance and the fact that the car could – at Bathurst – hit 300kph (186mph) down Conrod Straight before taking The Chase sideways at 280kph (174mph), the Skyline’s roll-over protection seems rather stark by today’s standards.

But then again, its design as a racecar is 23 years old this year. I still think of the GT-R as a modern classic, but in reality it’s rapidly heading toward being an actual classic. Because of its racing pedigree and colorful history, this car’s already there and is currently valued at over $1,000,000.

It’s on the market too, I should add. After purchasing the car directly from Fred Gibson back in 2001, I’m sure its current owner will be very sad to see it go. It has to be said that Terry Ashwood has done an amazing job of looking after the car, while never shying away from an opportunity to get it out on the track.

It’s probably safe to say that many people will only remember the Gibson GT-Rs for the 1992 Bathurst 1000 incident. That event was marred with controversy when on lap 144 (less than 20 laps short of the full 1000km distance) a huge downpour sent cars still running on slick tires spearing off the track in all directions. The Winfield-sponsored GT-R of Skaife and Richards was no exception. Ford stalwart Dick Johnson crossed the finish line first in his Shell-sponsored Sierra RS500, but afterwards the race was counted back one lap, meaning the Gibson Motorsport entry – which had led for most of the day but left the track on the back of a tow truck – was still pronounced the winner.

In this clip from 2007 Jim Richards and Mark Skaife recount the infamous day at Bathurst. A second win on The Mountain by a Japanese car (the same pairing had claimed victory the year prior in the GT-R) was too much for the riled-up crowd that gathered beneath the winners’ podium, and although there wasn’t a riot, there very nearly could have been…

After winning the Australian Touring Car Championship for two years running, the ’92 Tooheys 1000 was ultimately the Group A GT-R’s last race in Australia. For 1993 the ATCC’s governing body turned the series on its head by effectively banning turbocharging and four-wheel-drive systems in favour of an exclusive GM-Holden (Commodore V8) and Ford (Falcon V8) series. According to CAMS the cost of the turbo car (which supposedly averaged out at more that $500K a piece) was the main factor in the decision, but it’s also reported that pressure had been applied by GM-Holden and Ford with indirect threats of abandonment if the new format wasn’t introduced. Consequently the GT-R dream was over for Fred Gibson, Jim Richards and Mark Skaife.

Regardless of CAMS’ decision, by ’94 the Group A circuit racing era had all but come to an end. It’s been a GM-Holden versus Ford battle ever since, but coincidently that’s all about to change when the 2013 V8 Supercar season kicks off in two weeks time. Nissan is back in the fold and Mercedes-Benz has joined the party too. But with control chassis across the board and naturally aspirated V8s the only accepted engines, it’s not quite the same. The Group A GT-R may be gone, but I very much doubt it’ll ever be forgotten.

Brad Lord
Gibson Motorsport

SPEC
Gibson Motorsport BNR32 Nissan Skyline GT-R Group A
Chassis: Steel/alloy
Engine: Nissan Group A-spec RB26DETT, 2.6L DOHC 24V inline-six, twin Garrett T25 turbochargers
Driveline: Holinger 6-speed H-pattern dog box, tuned ATTESA E-TS
Power: 600hp (470hp with boost pressure restriction in ’92)
0-60mph: 3 seconds
Standing 1/4 mile: 10.99 seconds
Старый 21.06.2013   #18
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

NOT YOUR USUAL V8-SWAPPED S14

See, these are the sort of builds that really get me excited. I’ve spent over a decade shooting Silvias in Japan and up until the start of Gatebil Mantorp, I thought it was safe to say that I had seen pretty much every possible variation of these cars, especially of an S14, the most abundant of them all. I was of course wrong and extremely happy my assumption had been proven so, because there’s nothing quite as refreshing as seeing a popular chassis done in a fresh new way.

Robin Bystedt and his buddies from Finland put together what stood out as the coolest JDM car at Gatebli, and as he told me, when approaching his zenki S14 he had no intention to either use the stock engine nor do the usual American LS V8 swap. As we have seen, Scandinavians that build cars for Gatebil are quite the resourceful bunch and with tons of potential usable parts at their disposal from the European market…

… Robin had plenty to choose from. The main goal for the engine had to be good power but the most important thing was ample and usable torque at any rpm. So after a little thought and discussion he settled for a BMW V8…

… more precisely a 4.4L M62B44 out of a 740i. Little did this silky-smooth V8 know that once it had spent its life wafting a big 7-series around…

… it would be transplanted over into an S14 chassis. Width aside, there wasn’t that much size difference with the stock 200SX engine, and even the weight wasn’t too far off (30 kg more for the V8). As you can see, it all fits in there rather well with plenty of space to spare up front. Mind you…

… most of that space is there for a reason as Robin’s goal for copious amounts of torque called for a little dose of forced induction. Come on, did you expect to find a Gatebil car without a big snail somewhere under the hood?

So the stock motor was mated to an externally gated Holset HX50 positioned on the right side of the engine bay…

… so that it can fish as much air as it would possibly need directly through one of the three holes that have been drilled out of the dummy headlight. Now, while 1 bar is probably not that much for a ‘lazy’ engine like this, boost is boost and when you are sustaining it at high rpm it’s always better to give a little thought on where potential failures might occur. That’s why both heads were removed and copper ring gaskets inserted and sandwiched in between the block and heads and then held down with strengthened ARP bolts. Custom engine mounts were fabricated to hold the engine just in the right place and align it perfectly with the BMW E39 M5 six-speed gearbox that was fitted at the same time. Oh and get this, the engine and transmission sit on four hockey pucks used on each of the mounts. You can’t get more Finnish than that I suppose!

Above you can see the custom unequal length manifold that was created in order to collect exhaust gasses from each bank and feed them into the big single turbocharger. This also give an offset beat to the engine almost similar to an old Subaru flat-4 motor! On the chassis dyno the S14 made 601hp to the wheels and a towering 980 Nm (686 lb/ft) or torque; just the sorts of numbers Robin was shooting for. A hybrid Sachs clutch takes care of the abuse all that torque unleashes on the driveline while a Kaaz LSD has the job of apportioning drive to the rear wheels.

There are three pumps supplying fuel to the eight 875 cc/min injectors, an in-tank Walbro and a pair of Bosch 044′s. The engine is managed by an MS3x ECU and boost is controlled by a combination of a Gizzmo boost controller and the external no-brand wastegate. One thing to note here is that much like many other cars at Gatebil, these projects are all put together with contained budgets with the majority of work having been done during those cold and long Scandinavian winter months!

This is as good as grassroots gets; at least the Viking way!

Like the rest of the car the inside is all business: a beefy roll-cage has been fabricated prior to paint and the stripped interior added when completed. Mind you, aside from the stock dash there isn’t much in the way of an interior! The center console is dotted with KI Racing gauges and an Innovative wide band lambda sensor.

The stock dash instrumentation has been replaced by a single gauge…

… a large diameter KI Racing tachometer: the only thing Robin needs to keep his eyes on as he throws the car sideways through the turns of tracks like Mantorp.

Robin has gone with Sparco for both the steering wheel…

… and the two bucket seats, fitting them with Schroth Racing harnesses.

The fluro-orange, at least to me coming from the land of the JDM, seemed yet another fresh take and it was nicely executed throughout the Origin Labs-kitted exterior, extending to nice details like…

… the billet wing stays with water-jetted Mikki’s Metall logos…

… and of course the Advan RG-II wheels. Robin runs 10Jx17″ all round but the fronts are usually wrapped in sticky rubber like the 225/45R17 Potenza RE070 he had thrown on for Gatebil. The rears usually run cheap non-brand rubber, something the 930 Nm of torque pretty much vaporizes in a matter of a few laps.

Unfortunately the car’s outing at Mantorp didn’t end up going quite as planned. After a day of driving on Friday the boost controller ended up failing, feeding 2 bar of boost to the engine. With an 11:1 static compression ratio the BMW 4.4L V8 didn’t like that much and threw a conrod through the block. Robin and his team phoned around for a new engine and luckily found an older 4.0L version of the same V8 and spent most of the day on Saturday swapping it over. The car went back out but kept having oil surge problems so they decided to call it a day and retire. Robin is back in Finland now and planning to rebuild the engine with forged internals; a few weeks and the car will be back in tip-top condition. If this isn’t the perfect example of Gatebil spirit, then I don’t know what is!

Dino Dalle Carbonare
Instagram: speedhunters_dino

Robin Bystedt’s Nissan S14
Numbers
Max power 601whp, Max torque 930Nm
Engine
BMW m62b44 740i V8 swap, copper ring head gaskets, ARP head bolts, custom made unequal length exhaust manifold, Holset HX50 turbocharger, external wastegate, custom exhaust system, Griffin Intercooler, custom intercooler piping with ASH silicone hoses, Walbro 255 L/h in tank fuel pump, custom fuel collector tank, 2x Bosh Motorsport 044 fuel pumps, Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, 875 cc/min injectors, C4 Audi S6 oil cooler x2, MS3x ECU
Driveline
BMW E39 M5 five-speed gearbox, Bling Factory billet flywheel, 4-puck Sinther & Sachs 765 pressure plate, Kaaz LSD
Suspension/Brakes
HSD adjustable coilovers, HSD front strut brace, Mikki’s Metal custom steering knuckles, Mikki’s Metall custom modified control arms, Driftworks links, Nissan 300ZX brakes
Wheels/Tires
Yokohama ADVAN Racing RGII 10Jx17″ (front & rear), Bridgestone Potenza RE070 225/45R17 (front), no-brand tires at the back for Gatebil fun!
Exterior
Origin Labs front bumper, aero front and rear fenders, side skirts, Mikki Metall rear wing billet stays, Driftworks rear wing, blacked out rear lights
Interior
Stripped out interior, custom roll cage, Sparco steering wheel, Sparco Sprint buckets, Schroth harnesses, KI Racing tachometer, KI Racing meters, Compbrake brake lever, Gizzmo boost controller, Innovative wideband lambda sensor
Старый 21.07.2013   #19
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

I think it’s fair to say that these days drifting fans usually fall into one of two camps. On one hand there are those who’ve fully embraced what pro drifting has become in 2013 – an energy drink and tire smoke-fueled spectacle that’s become bigger, faster and more competitive than ever.

On the other hand, there exists a very vocal group of fans that feel pro drifting has strayed too far from its roots. Some of them feel that drifting should have never moved past what we saw in Option videos a decade ago and that anyone who puts an American V8 in a holy Nissan deserves the wrath of the ancient Japanese touge gods.

As for myself, I suppose I fit somewhere in the middle. Part of me completely understands how big professional drifting has become and the immense pressure that’s on today’s drivers to deliver results. Drifting for fun is one thing, but the extremely competitive, high stakes nature of today’s Formula Drift warrants drivers and teams to continually push the envelope, even if it means drifting (great pun right?) further and further from the sport’s roots.

But at the same time, I haven’t at all forgotten the things that made me fall in love with drifting in the first place. The stylish cars with badass wheels, sparkly paint jobs and lots of personality. Cars that looked amazing standing still and looked even better sliding through a corner, dragging body parts on the ground. Like many, I have no desire to see pro drifting progress into a sport where drivers battle each other in identical tube chassis race cars.

The question is then, do there exist cars that have successfully straddled the balance between these two ideals? Cars that are built to run with the best, but that haven’t lost sight of their roots or an eye for the aesthetics. The answer is yes, and as evidence I present the S14 being driven by Forrest Wang this season in Formula Drift.

While he might not be one of the most famous names in FD, Forrest is anything but a newcomer when it comes to drifting. He’s been building and driving bitchin’ drift cars for the better part of a decade now.

Besides having FD and D1GP experience, the Hawaiian native has also risen through the ranks of various grassroots and pro-am competitions over the years. In fact, I remember watching him drive at Just Drift! six years ago in a car that didn’t look all too different from the one you see here.

Besides having distinct green and black paint jobs, all the cars Forrest has built have had a very unique sense of style – one heavily inspired by the aforementioned Japanese street drift cars. Combine that with his very aggressive driving style and you have an entertaining package.

Forrest originally purchased this 1995 240SX from professional BMX rider Sean Sexton in Arizona, and started drifting it with a stock motor and full suspension before moving on through a few different SR20DET setups. The car was also seen at the Stance Suspension booth at the 2010 SEMA Show.

After that, the S14 sat engine-less for a few years at Get Nuts Lab, Forrest’s shop in Las Vegas, Nevada. When it came time to build a car for this year’s Formula Drift season, Forrest found that rebuilding his previous S13 to comply with the FD rule book would be too much work, so the old S14 was brought out of retirement.

Over the course of about three months, Forrest and the Get Nuts crew worked every day to get the car ready for Long Beach – which given the current rulebook and level of competition was not an easy task.

The work included fabricating a new rear tube setup and firewall, along with a bolt-on tube setup for the front end.

A brand new roll cage was also tig welded and installed to make sure the car met Formula Drift’s strict safety standards.

Besides the chassis fabrication, all of the paint and bodywork was also undertaken in-house at Get Nuts Lab.

When it came to power the car, Forrest decided not to go with another SR setup nor with a V8, but with a Toyota 2JZ motor built by a Vegas-based shop called Insane Speed.

Among the parts inside the fully-built 2J are CP pistons, Brian Crower rods, cams, springs and retainers, and plenty of other parts built to take abuse. There’s also a a custom modifed Godspeed intake manifold, an AFI exhaust manifold and Fuel Injector Clinic 2150cc injectors among other things.

Forced induction comes via a Garrett GTX3082r turbocharger feeding through a Garrett intercooler with custom Get Nuts end tanks and piping.

Yes, it seems the turbocharger is very much back in fashion in Formula Drift, and Forrest’s car is just another example of this.

Besides building the engine setup, Insane Speed also handled the tuning for the car’s AEM ECU system.

Being based in Vegas, Forrest certainly knows a thing or two about heat. To keep the S14 as cool as possible the car’s also been equipped with a rear-mounted radiator setup.

In addition to the giant Koyo radiator sitting in the trunk, there’s also a set of Flex-a-lite fans and a CSR electric water pump helping to ensure maximum cooling.

Beneath the car, you’ll find Battle Version control arms all around, Godspeed sway bars, a custom power brace, solid subframe bushings and a diff and axles from a Skyline GT-R.

Elsewhere, the steering rack has been relocated and the car is running Get Nuts front spindles with Stance Pro Comp coilovers and Swift springs all around.

The cockpit carries the same attention to detail found throughout the rest of the car. Besides the aforementioned roll cage, there are a pair of Status carbon/Kevlar seats…

… along with a full of array of electronics all within easy reach of the driver. Better yet, everything is kept clean to the degree of looking like a show car.

Last but certainly not least is the distinct exterior styling that truly sets the S14 apart when you see it in the paddock or battling on the track.

The body is equipped with a D-Max Type III aero kit with SuperMade fenders up front and Origin fenders in the rear. There other details too, like a D-Max roof wing and Origin carbon fiber canards, along with JDM headlights and taillights.

Then of course there are the beautiful set of Work VS-KF wheels which are the centerpiece of the car’s stylish, street-inspired vibe.

The wheels measure 17×9.5 inches up front and 18×11 inches in the rear and are mounted with Achilles 123 tires. Let’s not forget the blingin’ Endless six-pot brakes up front either.

Of the course, the quest to make the car better will never end. Currently on Forrest’s to-do list is the addition of a four-speed dog box and a quick-change rear end. Anything to help his cause in a field that gets faster and more aggressive each event.

But whatever happens to the car in the future, I think we can rest assured that Forrest will always do things with a sense of style and that this car will never forget its humble street roots. Once again, it’s all about balance between form and function and I think Forrest Wang has very much found it.

Words by Mike Garrett
Instagram : speedhunters_mike
Email: mike@speedhunters.com
Photos by Larry Chen
Instagram: larry_chen_foto
Email: larry@speedhunters.com

Formula Drift stories on Speedhunters

Forrest Wang’s Formula Drift S14
Engine
Toyota 2JZ-GTE swap, CP pistons, BC rods, BC cams, BC springs, BC retainers, ARP hardware, ATI damper, AFI exhaust manifold, Fuel Injector Clinic 2150cc injectors, Yellowjacket coilpacks, Tomei cam gears, HKS timing belt, custom Godspeed intake manifold, Garrett GTX3082R turbo, Tial wastegates, Garrett intercooler, Get Nuts end tanks and piping, Blitz oil cooler, RCI fuel cell, Get Nuts exhaust, AEM ECU, rear-mounted Koyo radiator setup, Flex-a-Lite fans, CSR electric water pump
Driveline
R154 transmission with Marlin Crawler parts, Carbonetic clutch, aluminum driveshaft, Skyline GT-R differential, axles and hubs
Suspension/Brakes
Get Nuts front spindles, Stance Pro Comp coilovers w/Swift springs 12k front 3k rear, Tein tie rods, Godspeed sway bars, Battle Version control arms, relocated steering rack, Endless six-pot brakes front, Skyline brakes with Project Mu pads rear,
Wheels/Tyres
Work VS-KF, 17×9.5J -5 (front), 18x11J -10 (rear), Achilles Radial 123 235/45R17 (front), 265/35R18 (rear)
Exterior
D-Max Type III kit, SuperMade front fenders, Origin rear fenders, D-Max roof spoiler, Origin CF canards, Seibon CF hood, JDM aero mirrors, JDM S14 kouki headlights & taillights, Diamond Lighting HIDs, Lexan windows
Interior
Get Nuts custom FD-spec roll cage, Status carbon/Kevlar seats, Bride low rails, Sparco steering wheel, Quick release hub, Sparco pedals,
Старый 30.05.2014   #20
barogoz
На холостых

barogoz

Рекорд трассы Цукуба (Tsukuba) на Nissan Silvia s15

Метки
200sx, best lap, builds, cosworth, jeroen willemsen, lmgt, слива, сильвия, nismo, nissan, тайматтак, s13, s14, s15, silvia, timeattack, vq35

Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск
Опции просмотра