TRACKLIFE.info Ресурс о индустрии автоспорта

Вернуться   TRACKLIFE.info Ресурс о индустрии автоспорта > Технический раздел > Автомобили

Автомобили Ветка о спортивных автомобилях, готовых проектах и процессе их создания. Ваши машины в подразделе Бортовой журнал.

Ответ

Опции темы Поиск в этой теме Опции просмотра
Старый 08.09.2012   #21
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

Kosov вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 08.09.2012   #22
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

Старый 29.10.2012   #23
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

Старый 04.11.2012   #24
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

ae86
Миниатюры
fatlace_profile.jpg   Toca_profile.jpg   Daniel_Song_profile.jpg   Chris_Basselgia_profile-1.jpg   Evasive_profile.jpg  
Старый 17.02.2013   #25
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

Fredric Aasbø was thinking that his Toyota 86-X had definitely been out of action for too long since its European tour and demos at the end of last year. But at home in Norway, freezing temperatures and seemingly impassable roads would be no obstruction to blowing away the cobwebs. In fact, the worse the conditions, the more likely it would appear that Norwegians are to organise an event. Get a hundred or so cars, fit some spiked snow tyres, find a frozen lake: and voila. You have Gatebil On Ice.

But just turning up on the day with what he had at the close of 2012 wouldn’t be enough: Fredric had something up his sleeve for Gatebil On Ice courtesy of his friends at KRB Trading.

I’d flown in to meet Fredric from the UK, which had been suffering under a blanket of snow that had virtually paralysed the country. Then I arrived in Norway, and everything was put in context. This is a country which is under snow for a good six months of the year. A blanket of snow? This was more like a carpet bombing! I traded my compact rental car up to a Subaru 4×4 just to be safe and felt a lot better about things…

But it’s all about attitude: in the UK for sure there’s not the investment in infrastructure, but also people just aren’t used to driving in slippery conditions. Over here, these kind of road conditions are normal, and drivers adjust their approach accordingly. It also helps that winter tyres are a legal requirement.

Driving through Norway is never a chore, and the frozen harbours around the Bygdøy promontory were absolutely beautiful, and were worth the risk of wild snapping away out of the window.

KRB Trading are located about an hour to the south-west of Oslo: a blast down the snowy motorway from the capital and then a short run on local roads parallel with the frozen Drammenselva river – one of Norway’s largest waterways, which heads inland from the big Drammensfjord on the coast.

KRB’s relationship with Fredric goes deep: they were heavily involved in the engine for the 86-X project…

…which in itself went back to Fredric’s previous Supra ride. They’ve also worked with rallycross legend Sverre Isachsen over the years – he lives relatively locally. Norway is a big country, but everybody is a close neighbour it appears!

So, what do KRB Trading do exactly? One look inside their main building made it pretty clear. Kai Bakken and his crew live and breath turbocharging. I’ve never seen so many turbos in one place. You could turbocharge the whole earth with the quantity of blowers in their stock! Shelves and boxes groaned under the weight of turbos of every size and shape.

As the sun sank over the horizon and the bitter cold set in, attention turned to KRB’s relatively recent addition to their arsenal: a fully equipped, purpose-built dyno room built just over a year ago.

Fredric rolled up with the 86-X snug in its trailer – and snug was an understatement. The ultra-wide Rocket Bunny bodykit means the car fits in with just centimetres to spare…

Safely out of the trailer, Fredric backed the Toyota into the garage to get hooked up to the dyno life support system.

It was time to play turbos.

There would be two main changes for the 86-X’s first run-out of 2013: the first was a Comp billet cartridge turbo upgrade.

With the extra power the former was expected to deliver, the second addition would be even more critical given the surface: studded Pirelli WRC-spec snow tyres.

After getting so used to seeing the 86-X hunched down with its wide rubber straining at the arches at insane camber, it looked very strange with its almost tricycle configuration for the ice: The front wheels stayed out wide, whereas the rears were housed right inside the arches – more on this in the following story.

So while Fredric and the KRB team got to work, I went exploring around the rest of the KRB workshops in search of the KRB Audi S1: the Gatebil Dragon. I found its heart…

…and then in a separate workshop I came across its body.

Kai has completely stripped the Audi back to the spaceframe: that will be refinished and repainted, whilst the mechanicals and bodywork will also get overhauled.

Actually, although the engine is of course a fundamental part of the Audi’s awesomeness, Kai reckons this block of metal is the key – and it’s also one of the most expensive things in the build: its Sellhom 4WD gearbox and differential.

The suspension, hubs and brakes are also due a service: coolant from an engine blow-up last year had corroded the gold anodising on the A-arms.

An important addition for the car is a set of air-jacks, which will save not just on time but also potential damage and having to cart around a big trolley jack to every event. The aim is for the Audi to be back on track by May.

Back in the dyno room things were getting interesting. With each test run the garage doors would be pulled down to help soundproof the area (KRB have good neighbours that they’d like to keep that way), and the revs would rise as new mapping were tried out.

The excitement grew as the numbers got bigger: on the screens we watched as each result surpassed the last (except for one where the graph drew an alarming boomerang shape due to a misplaced sensor!).

By the end of the session, Fredric had 913nm of torque and 685hp at 1.65 bar of boost to play with. Impressive! And remember that this is an almost stock VVTI 2JZ with a 6067 Comp turbo and some serious work from KRB and SWR Performance.

The drop off after peak torque was expected as the stock cams let off a little at the top, but it was delivering insane power from 3,000rpm, with a great midrange and solid power curve. Of course, the 86-X is not just the sum of the parts but the result of hard work by all the people involved.

There was a celebratory mood as the car was packed up ready for the next day…

…where the car would be in completely new territory – and all that torque would be delivered through those tiny ice tyres! The lake didn’t look like it would stand a chance…
Старый 25.02.2013   #26
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

Pop quiz: what do you get when you take one of the world’s largest car company’s racing R&D wing, give them unlimited resources and cut them loose to improve the hottest compact car in the world today? Answer: the TRD Griffon Concept. Don’t let the wacky name fool you, this car is all business; and unlike most half-cocked concepts, you might actually want to drive it.

Fortunately, at least if you were a Toyota test driver, you could – because this car is more than just a show-piece but is actually an R&D test mule. In fact, the car has already logged many test miles at circuits like Tsukuba where Dino caught a rare first glimpse of the car back in December before its debut at Tokyo Auto Salon.

I would imagine then that most of you have probably already seen this car at some point, but I doubt many of you have had this in-depth of a look. On the exterior it’s obvious that something fairly incredible has been done to the car, but it’s only after you peek beneath the surface that the staggering transformation can really be appreciated.

In fact, I’d argue that aside from the obvious bits like the canards, rear diffuser and pointy wing, the outside really doesn’t give much away. The first time I saw the car at TAS I actually moved on rather quickly, it wasn’t until I went in for a closer look the next day that it became obvious I would have to get better acquainted with the car once the show was over.

Of course a spotlight on the car was a mandatory part of our TAS coverage, but Dino and I knew that we needed to spend some more time with the car in order to do it justice. There’s just so much awesome oozing out of every last millimeter that can’t be properly appreciated in the context of a car show.

Case in point: just take a look at the wheel / tire / brake area… it’s mind blowing. Items don’t get much more top-shelf than TE37SLs and six-piston Brembo calipers with floating rotors. I don’t think that there’s a ZN6 owner anywhere in the world that wouldn’t kill for that package! But this stuff is just the tip of the iceberg.

TRD has completely re-sculpted virtually the entire exterior of the car, adding width, ducts, channels and dive planes to various surfaces. While much of the car is still in a bespoke prototype phase, there are also items, like the TRD “Front Fender Aero Fins” that we also saw on TRD’s other demo car a few weeks ago, that you can actually purchase.

Around back it’s more of the same, lots of aero bits and pieces that have been masterfully shaped out of dry carbon and fiberglass and painstakingly grafted to the body.

The centerpiece of the rear bumper, both literally and metaphorically, is the rear diffuser with a center-exit exhaust pipe which terminates in a glorious triangular shaped megaphone. It’s the little details like the way the exhaust is finished or the corresponding heat-sheild where you start to catch little hints that TRD might be showing off a little…

But that’s nothing compared to the rear wing, which really starts to hint at just how serious of an exercise the Griffon is. I’ve seen a lot of wings in my day mounted to all sorts of cars ranging from rusted-out-ricebuckets to top-tier-motorsport and I’ve never seen something so technically sound and beautiful as this.

If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go off on a bit of a rant here, but I think you’ll find it just. You see, I don’t believe that the word perfection accurately describes the spoiler mounted on the Griffon. I could stare at this thing for hours, in fact I think over the course of the shoot I did… and I didn’t manage to find a single strand of fiber out of place.

The uprights are proper motorsport-style mounts with multiple adjustment points to fine-tune the angle-of-attack. Notice the chamfered trailing edges of the wing to reduce drag, serious business indeed.

Of course the wing is also height-adjustable via the bottom of the uprights which can be dialed-in under the trunk lid. Is your brain hurting yet? My god the things I would do for something like this for my Civic…

The use of carbon fiber isn’t just limited to smaller bits and pieces, in fact it’s almost grotesque how completely covered the Griffon is in the stuff. And we’re not talking run-of-the-mill carbon fiber either, take everything you know about the stuff and throw it out the window. This is 100% Formula 1 level perfection weaves we’re dealing with.

And since TRD is part of Toyota, they have access to all the original CAD information and parts molds, so you can bet your ass that everything on this car fits properly – not something you can be so sure of in the real aftermarket realm. To ensure that everything is structurally sound, all of the necessary carbon pieces have also been properly bonded to the chassis as well.

Even the most minuscule of holes have ben covered with sheets of carbon which have been precision measured and cut. Showing off again are we TRD? As you may have noticed, to accompany the extreme carbon diet, all of the glass with the exception of the windscreen has been replaced with OEM-quality-fitting sheets of Lexan.

With the radical effort put into the body, it may come as some surprise that the engine compartment remains relatively untouched, at least for now. The main concept of the first phase of research seems to be seeing how much potential the car has without adding any power and simply “adding lightness.”

There are a few small trinkets to be found, like TRD oil and radiator caps as well as an oil cooler, but most is still standard.

The only real power modification on the Griffon is the addition of a fully Titanium exhaust system consisting of a custom header and completely straight exhaust. It might not add gobs of power, but it certainly does provide a very exciting exhaust note!

The suspension is relatively straight-forward as well, with a few TRD bits and pieces underneath while the majority of the work has been taken care of by a set of KW motorsport 3-way adjustable dampers, further continuing the trend of KWs on ZN6s I saw at SEMA.

The cockpit follows suit in the exercise of weight extraction and comes off as a place from which a racing driver can conduct serious business. There isn’t a whole lot left inside, but as you’d expect, what’s there is pretty impressive.

In addition to the standard dials, a set of TRD meters which are offered for sale as a kit – complete with the 2-din plate – have been installed to keep an eye on oil pressure and oil / water temps. It’s a sophisticated and simple solution that’s certainly a lot easier on the eyes than the standard radio configuration offered by Toyota / Scion.

A lone TRD bucket is all that remains by way of seating. This particular model is one of two different seats manufactured by Bride for TRD, the other being a reclining and thus non-FIA approved version. Once paired to a Takata harness, this car is ready to lock in some hotlaps.

Although TRD is offering a very handsome leather-wrapped Momo steering wheel with an airbag, the Griffon isn’t a true street car so the team decided to bolt a more appropriate suede Momo Monte Carlo on the car in its place. TRD also chose to utilize a Works Bell flip-up style steering boss to ease the transition to and from the driver’s seat.

Aside from the seat and the dashboard, very little else now resides in the car, save for a miniature relocated battery. As you can see, the chassis has also been painstakingly spot-welded in its entirety.

The rear seat area has been replaced with a flat sheet of dry carbon which has been riveted and bonded to the body to increase structural rigidity. Again just another small difference between a factory works effort and a conventional tuner car.

But if you’re still not quite convinced, have a quick look at this video of the Griffon from TRD and you’ll begin to further appreciate the effort that has been put into this car. Words cannot begin to describe the accuracy and fitment of each and every component on this car, it’s been finished at a level I don’t think any tuning shop would be capable of replicating.

In a nutshell, the Griffon offers everything you want from a modified car (i.e. looks and performance) without any of the typical draw backs (i.e. improper fitment and poor durability). So then, is the Griffon Concept the ultimate tuned eight-six? I’ll leave that for you to decide, but I certainly think so.
Toyota Racing Development “Griffon Concept” Toyota 86
ENGINE
2.0L naturally aspirated FA20 boxer engine; TRD Titanium header and straight exhaust
ENGINE MANAGEMENT / ELECTRONICS
Standard ECU; TRD sports meter
DRIVELINE
TRD 2-way LSD, clutch plate and 3-puck disc
SUSPENSION / CHASSIS
KW motorsport 3-way adjustable dampers; TRD member brace, reinforced suspension arms
BRAKES
TRD 6-pot (f) / 4-pot (r) monoblock calipers, 355mm (f) / 345mm (r) floating rotors, stainless brake lines, performance brake pads
WHEELS / TIRES
18×9.5″ +40 Volk TE37SL wheels; 250/640R18 Advan Racing slick tires; Rays racing lug nuts
CABIN
TRD fixed bucket seat; Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel; Works Bell Rapfix GTC steering hub; Takata 4-point harness; lightweight relocated battery
BODY
TRD Griffon concept aero package (consists of GFRP front / rear bumpers, front fenders, CFRP hood, roof, trunk lid, rear wing, rear diffuser doors), front fender aero fin, Performance Line side skirts, bonded carbon fiber rear seat reinforcement plate; Craft Square carbon side mirrors; spot-weld reinforced chassis
PERFORMANCE
-Sean
Старый 24.03.2013   #27
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

When faced with the need to stand out, a true challenge in any forms of motorsports, it’s pretty safe to say that RS-R have taken the correct path. With a need to replace their successful, yet ageing JZA80 Supra, for this year’s Formula D Asia championship, they ended up doing things a little differently. It was decided early on that the ZN6 would be the perfect choice for this whole new project…

…but the true dilemma came when they began brainstorming ideas for the powertrain. What RS-R and Flatwell have achieved with the 2JZ is nothing short of impressive, building upon the straight-six’s capabilities and reliability extremely well, extracting superb levels of performance that kept them competitive in the various drift series they entered their Supra in. However, while the “2J” would have been a great choice, it would also have been – how can we put it – predictable. So, what did they do? They took the complete opposite path and in the process challenged both themselves as well as their drivers. The result is the car you see here, well a 95% finished interpretation of it at least. So if you focus beyond the “in-progress” looks your will find what has to be the most complex drift-oriented Toyota 86 anyone has so far created…

…boasting a TRD NASCAR V8 swap. Now for all you Formula D fans out there, seeing V8 transplants must be pretty normal but you need to understand how uncommon this is in Japan. This is the first time RS-R have attempted anything like this and the result is simply mouthwateringly impressive.

Plus, seeing those TRD head covers in a Toyota chassis, well it just looks so right doesn’t it! The V8 motor was sourced from the US and originally came from Ed Pink Racing Engines (EPRE) in California.

EPRE converted it to fuel injection by welding in eight injector ports on the existing inlet manifold, fed by a pair of Wilson Manifolds fuel rails.

An LS-series electric throttle was then added along with the top mounted 90-degree elbow, the whole assembly along with Blitz mesh filter sticking right through the hood, something that will become the car’s most recognizable feature, especially after Kei Miura of TRA Kyoto completes the hood scoop that will cover it all. But more on that later on.

Ignition is handled again by a direct coil system borrowed from an LS engine, replacing the distributor that was run originally.

The engine already came with billet aluminum anchor points, so what Flatwell had to do (the shop that was commissioned to build the 86) is machine some mounts and position the whole unit properly in the vast engine bay. And I say vast because there is plenty of clearance all around the engine, one of the benefits of designing a car around a boxer motor. The 86 really is made for swaps!

The stainless steel headers have individual temperature sensors for each cylinder, one of the many parameters that are logged via the Motec engine management system. In this way the best possible performance can be extracted safely from the engine at all rpm, as the ECU continuously monitors and adapts to even the smallest variation of temperature, A/F ratio and knock. This allows both drivers of the car, Manabu Orido and Fredric Aasbø to make full use of the close to 750 HP the motor churns out without many concerns. This is precisely why RS-R went for this set-up, the NASCAR engine offering the best of everything – ample power and torque, simplicity and reliability. All they had to do it drop it into the compact ZN6 chassis and set it all up for its new dorisha duty!

Lubrication is dry-sump of course but for best weight distribution the oil tank, as you will see further down, is located in the trunk and feeds the scavenger pumps up front via very long and very large diameter braided lines. Big engine big everything else – including the truck sized Fram oil filter.

We were invited to check out the car’s first shakedown test in Suzuka Twin the other week, where both Orido and Fredric worked hard with the team to iron out little problems and get everything working properly. You will be finding out all about that from Fredric’s own blog soon, but needless to say it was impressive seeing the RS-R guys at work once again, fine tuning an all new machine and make it perform so damn well in such short time! But enough of that, let’s get back to the car itself! As you have probably already noticed the exterior of the 86 has been pumped up with a full 6666 Customs Rocket Bunny aero, the same that is used on Fredric’s own car back in Norway. Kei Miura will be adding some custom touches like the hood scoop and a custom rear diffuser section, but the most important additions to the car itself – from a performance point of view – were the front and rear overfenders. These allow the Enkei wheels to be pushed right out to increase front & rear track and give tons of space for aggressive negative camber, as well as toe and caster adjustments.

Behind the front RP03 hides a Project µ brake upgrade with big 6-pot calipers and 2-piece slotted discs, 4-pots at the back Also take a look at the spacers that have been added to further increase track and play around with geometry on the test day.

To appreciate the car you have to look beyond its unfinished, multi-colored exterior. The stock red doors are to be replaced with lightweight dry carbon items to slash a good 20+ kg from the body and the whole car will be painted white before the trademark RS-R graphics are applied.

There isn’t much bumper left, everything has been cut away to expose the underpinnings of the custom rear treatment. The tubular section is there to hold the custom cooling set up in place…

…as well as to offer an anchor point for the megaphone titanium exhaust. Actually it shouldn’t even be called an exhaust but a screamer pipe, from where thunder is released when Fredric or Orido give the slightest prod to the throttle. Never has anyone heard a V8 scream like this in Japan, that’s for sure!

Sending drive to the rear wheels is a Winters Performance quick change rear end that not only allows tons of adjustability for the various tracks in the Formula D Asia series, but great reliability…

…when pulling these sort of full-throttle-in-fourth-gear epic drift moves! The rest of the driveline is finished off with a Hollinger sequential transmission…

…further helping to annihilate lots of sets of Yokohama Advan Neova rubber!

Undo the two rear latches and the top quick release pins and the featherweight carbon trunk lid is easily lifted off the car…

…revealing this work of art. It may look extremely complex in there but the need to balance the weight efficiently in the car dictated the need to shift components into the trunk.

The big tank is for the dry-sump lubrication and on top of holding 12 liters of top of the line synthetic oil, it’s also fitted with a warmer to get the oil up to temperature before it’s circulated into the engine. The rest of the piping you see feeds the two L-shaped radiators that have been beautifully…

…positioned on each corner of the trunk area… Along with the engine’s water pump…

…an additional two electric pumps are added to help flow the coolant the extra distance.

It’s all topped off with this overflow tank.

To further help shave weight off the rear glass has been replaced with a lightweight lexan sheet while the roof has been hacked off and a dry carbon one fitted in its place. The attention to detail truly is mind boggling.

This rough cover placed over the lateral rear windows is a piece custom made by Nakawatase-san, Kei Miura’s newest employee and known for his crazy military themed Volklinger S14 Silvia. Once cut out it will help channel even more air towards the rear radiators and give another bespoke touch to the car’s exterior.

Open the soon to be replaced stock doors…

…and your first sight is the highly bolstered Bride racing seat, where Fredric and Orido will do their thing.

This Nardi steering wheel is what Orido used during the test days, with Fredric preferring a deeper cupped Tanida item for a more “rally-style” driving position.

All engine parameters are displayed via the Motec SDL3 digital display dash unit…

…and if you peek behind the semi-stripped stock dash you can just about see the Motec M800 unit, the brains of the car.

I thought this was a neat way to take care of the switch panel, rather than lining up a bunch of old style toggle switches on the center console everything is cleanly arranged in this easy to understand switch panel. The buttons are even rubberized so that you don’t slip while pressing them while wearing race gloves.

With Fredric being quite a bit taller than Orido, an adjustable pedal box was a must so that, just like in the Supra, both drivers can be easily accommodated.

One of the most important commands in a drift car is of course the handbrake (or e-brake/side-brake depending on what sort of English you speak). The level actuates the Wilwood hydraulic pump that instantly locks the rear wheels to initiate drifts or help the driver prolong them.

The rear section of the cabin is where the fuel system is laid out along with the aluminum water lines…

…and the beefy braided oil lines.

RS-R and Flatwell knew their new Formula D Asia car had to be special, but after spending some time looking over the 86 in detail at Suzuka Twin, not to mention observing two days of testing, we can safely say they have really outdone themselves in every way.

We were lucky enough to get some images minutes ago from the RS-R guys showing the almost completed look of the 86. The team were back out for one last test session in Okayama yesterday…

…with Orido, fine tuning the suspension set up before the car is sent off on its 9-month voyage around Asia. Needless to say we can’t wait to see Fredric rip up the track in Melbourne next month at the first round of the 2013 FDA season!

Specs:
Engine & driveline: 2006-spec 5.7 L TRD NASCAR V8, custom engine mounts, Ed Pink Racing Engines fuel injection conversion, Ed Pink Racing Engines direct coil ignition conversion, Ed Pink Racing Engines electronic throttle conversions, Blitz mesh filter, custom dry sump system with rear mounted tank, custom rar mounted twin L-shaped radiators, twin electric water pumps, custom fuel system, Motec M800 ECU, Hollinger sequential transmission, Winters Performance quick-change rear end
Suspenson & Brakes: RS-R adjustable front & rear dampers, wide selection of springs, custom front subframe, custom front lower arms and tie rods, Project µ 6-pot front calipers, Project µ 4-pot rear calipers, Project µ 2-piece slotted rotors front and rear
Wheels & Tires: Enkei PF01 9.5Jx18, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 235/40R18 (front), 265/35R18 rear
Exterior: 6666 Customs Rocket Bunny full aero, custom Rocket Bunny side intakes, carbon fiber doors, carbon fiber trunk, carbon fiber hood, custom Rocket Bunny rear diffuser & hood scoop, carbon rood, lexan rear glass
Interior: Fully spot welded and reinforced chassis, custom weld-in roll cage, Bride racing bucket seat, Taktata MPH-341 racing harnesses, Nardi steering wheel (Orido), Tanida steering wheels (Fredric), race switch panel, Motec SDL3 dash display, Flatwell adjustable pedal box, billet ARC handbrake lever & Willwood hydraulic pump
Старый 28.03.2013   #28
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

Миниатюры
LEADFOOT_1551_1.jpg  
Старый 09.04.2013   #29
Kosov
На третей

Kosov

There are certain projects that are best left for a while before exploring, and the HKS 86 Racing Performer is one of them. Much like every 86/BRZ/FR-S/GT86 demo car around the world, it has all been put together in an impressively short space of time if you consider that the ZN6 and its Subaru counterpart has only been officially on sale in Japan for a year. HKS are always at the forefront of JDM tuning and parts development and when it came to the most anticipated car the industry has seen in the last decade, they certainly didn’t hold back.

So when I had the chance to cover their time attack attempt, organized in collaboration with Yokohama Tire, I took advantage of the opportunity and featured their rather special 86.

After all it’s not every day you are given full access to such a cool car, not to mention Tsukuba and its challenging layout.

The way HKS have approached this project is pretty smart; the car is not only their D1 Grand Prix pro drift machine but we have seen it double up as the occasional time attack car too. This is because it also serves the purpose of test mule/ development car, testing out a bunch of prototype parts in the harshest of conditions.

This helps guarantee reliability once specific upgrades get signed off and put into production, giving both HKS and its customers peace of mind. But before we get to all the interesting oily bits, let’s take a quick look at the exterior of the vehicle; one that makes it stand out among the hundreds of other 86/BRZ demo cars in Japan.

Having the ability to create their own dry carbon parts in-house allows HKS to really make performance car owners extremely jealous. Was there really a need to make a dry carbon front bumper and integrated diffuser section? Carbon front fenders? Probably not, but hey, if you have the means… right? Of course it’s not all for show. While being extremely nice to look at in their satin unpainted state, these bits also help shave precious weight up front. And in case you’re wondering, yes the front fenders are moulded off the Rocket Bunny/6666 Customs bolt-on items. HKS have collaborated with TRA Kyoto on the aero but had to do things a little differently to stand out.

Tow straps are a must in Japan these days!

The rear gets the regular Rocket Bunny/6666 Customs overfenders, screwed down with exposed screws.

It would be great to see this 86 in the bare without any graphics or sponsors…

… just to appreciate its simple yet functional exterior. Certainly looks like no other ZN6 out there, especially when blasting around the track with Nob at the wheel.

You won’t find any wild engine swaps under the stock aluminum hood because HKS have preferred to apply their know-how on the base FA20 flat four motor. Having received a couple of pre-production cars even before the 86 went on sale early last year allowed them to start work on the engine before most of their competitors. Knowing that forced induction would be the only way to get the 200hp lump to develop decent power, they worked on a bottom end capable of taking the abuse of serious boost levels. The 2.2L stroker kit that the FA now runs is made up of slightly oversized 87 mm forged aluminum pistons, H-section connecting rods and a counterbalanced crankshaft with an increased (89 mm) stroke.

So with that taken care of the bolt-on bits followed. First up the HKS GT7040L supercharger, a pretty large unit that has been set up to deliver 1.6 kg/cm2 of boost right across the rev range. It has been positioned slightly offset from the center of the engine, mounted on its own bracket…

… and plumbed into place with custom aluminum piping. An HKS sponge filter makes sure the blower doesn’t suck up unwanted debris while the HKS front-mounted intercooler cools the intake charge before it passes through the throttle.

To keep the GT supercharger cool a dry carbon NACA duct has been worked into the stock hood, the latter probably getting replaced with a one piece carbon item in the near future.

While the 2.2L FA20 is technically force-induced, what differentiates it from turbocharged versions is its sound. Thanks to a more flowing stainless steel four-into-one exhaust manifold the HKS 86 screams with an NA-like throaty growl, as there’s no turbo in the way to muffle it all up.

This makes it one of the most unique-sounding 86s out there…

… and no matter where you position yourself around Tsukuba Circuit you can hear it as it blasts all the way around the 2km (1.2 mile) track.

The engine makes about 520 HP in its forced induced state, an HKS F-Con V Pro taking care of engine management including the fuelling which is kept at pressure through two externally mounted Bosh fuel pumps and a set of 700 cc/min injectors.

Giving another additional punch of power is the Nitrous Express nitrous oxide system, which delivers 50+hp when Nob needs it. With close to 400hp over the stock power the driveline needed some serious attention, with most of the factory components being relegated to the trash. The transmission was replaced with an SR-base HKS five speed sequential unit, fitted onto the motor along with a prototype triple plate clutch. Transferring drive to the TRD LSD housed inside the Toyota eight-inch rear end is a Skyline GT-R propeller shaft; all beefed-up components needed for reliability in competition. It’s all completed with thicker driveshafts from a Toyota Mark II.

More prototype parts follow in the suspension department with custom adjustable suspension arms and knuckles as well as a modified steering rack. These are then joined by HKS Hiper Max IV GT adjustable coilovers, specially set up and developed with input from Nob and a year’s worth of testing and competing in D1.

For the time attack session in Tsukuba the 86 was running 18-inch Yokohama RZ-DF shod in 265/35R18 Neova AD08R all round for ultimate grip.

Braking is handled by some of the best brakes currently available from a Japanese maker: the Endless monobloc six-pot kit. These front anchors have no problem scrubbing speed off quickly and effectively – and seeing the contained curb weight of 1,150kg – are almost completely fade-proof. The rear is stabilized with regular Endless six-pot calipers, which are directly linked to the hydraulic e-brake.

The open wheel wells allow copious amounts of air to flow towards the brakes, helping to keep things nice and cool.

Since drifting also requires a good amount of downforce, HKS have slapped a big dry carbon wing onto the carbon trunk…

… but it’s actually the Valenti rear taillights that really finish off the back end superbly. For you keen-eyed readers you may have noticed that the headlights also got some attention with LED DLRs and BMW-like angel eyes around the main HID projectors.

For what is a fully-fledged pro drift and time attack car, the interior has remained quite sedate. The door cards and most of the dashboard have been left untouched, only cut out where they would have otherwise interfered with the roll cage.

Oil and water temperatures are monitored via the HKS DB meters while the HKS A/F knock amp constantly checks engine performance and warns of excessive pinging. Aside from the Endless hydraulic e-brake lever and HKS sequential selector…

… Nob also has a button on the steering wheel to play with.

This actuates the nitrous oxide system for an instant boost in power when a bit of extra speed is needed down a straight, or as a little boost when the engine is out of its power band.

What really impresses about the HKS 86 and 86s/BRZs in general, is the sheer pace of evolution that has occurred in only a year. The JDM aftermarket world has never seen anything like this…

… and to think we’re still only at the beginning truly boggles the mind. What more can we expect for this platform? Or better still, what would you, the enthusiast, like to see developed and pursued? No matter how it will all progress however, you can bet HKS will continue to be right there spearheading it all.

HKS

HKS 86 RACING PERFORMER
NUMBERS
Max Power – 580hp / Max Torque: 549 Nm (405lb/ft) / Max Boost: 1.6 kg/cm2
ENGINE
HKS ø87 mm forged pistons, HKS connecting rods, HKS full counter-balanced crankshaft (89 mm stroke), 2.2L capacity, HKS four-into-one stainless steel exhaust manifold, HKS one-off exhaust system, HKS GT7040L supercharger, HKS filter, HKS intercooler, HKS piping, HKS blow off valve, HKS oil cooler, HKS oil filter, oil catch tank, one-off surge tank, Bosh fuel pumps x2, HKS 700 cc/min injectors, Nitrous Express nitrous oxide system, one-off oil catch tank, F-Con V Pro ECU
DRIVELINE
HKS triple plate clutch, lightweight flywheel, HKS five-speed sequential transmission, Skyline GT-R propeller shaft, Toyota eight-inch rear end, TRD LSD, Toyota Mark II drive shafts
SUSPENSION / BRAKES
HKS Hipermax Max IV GT adjustable coilovers, HKS one-off adjustable arms, HKS one-off knuckles, modified steering rack, Endless monobloc six-pot front brake kit, rear Endless six-pot calipers, Endless two piece slotted rotors front and rear, hydraulic e-brake
WHEELS / TIRES
Yokohama RZ 10Jx18″ front and rear, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R 265/35R18 front and rear
EXTERIOR
HKS dry carbon front bumper, HKS dry carbon splitter/diffuser, HKS dry carbon front wide fenders, Craft Square carbon mirrors, Rocker Bunny 6666 Customs rear overfenders, HKS dry carbon rear GT-wing, Valenti taillights
INTERIOR
Nardi steering wheel, Bride Zeta III bucket seats, DB meters RS, HKS Knock Amp Meter, HKS OB-Link, NX nitrous pressure gauge, roll cage
Ответ

Метки
автомобиль, гоночная, camry, cars, машина, japan, тойота, race, racing, supra, toyota, toyota motorsport

Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск
Опции просмотра